Meghan Maupin, CEO
Meg is the CEO and Co-founder of Atolla. She has a graduate degree in Engineering and Management from MIT, and previously worked in design roles at Patagonia, The MIT Design Lab, and Formlabs.
Your Skin Sequence is a high-level summary of your skin health. Specifically, it reflects your top skin concern; your oil, moisture, and pH levels; and your sun sensitivity. Our skin assessment measures various other aspects of your skin, but we have found these five factors to be the most representative of skin health.
When you take your online skin assessment to create your custom formula, we assign you a Skin Sequence that looks like this: B-###3. This initial Skin Sequence shows your top skin concern and sun sensitivity index. After completing your first check-in with the Skin Test, you’ll be able to unlock your full Skin Sequence to reflect the other three metrics of skin health.
Developing your personalized Skin Sequence begins with your top skin concern, with is represented with a single letter:
- B: Breakouts
- C: Clogged Pores
- I: Discoloration/Dark Spots
- D: Dryness
- O: Oiliness
- R: Redness
- N: Sun Damage
- W: Wrinkles
- H: Daily Skin Health
After identifying your top skin concern, we track three key skin measurements (oil, moisture, and pH) in order to prevent and treat any issue caused by an imbalance. Why these three?
- Oil: Your skin’s natural oils help protect and hydrate it. But in excess, oil can lead to clogged pores and breakouts, and a lack of it can lead to dryness. Your oil measurements help select the best ingredients to keep your skin in balance.
- Moisture: Well-moisturized skin is the quickest way to improve your appearance. Dehydrated skin lacks water and can lead to irritation and redness. Your moisture levels are used to design a formulation that keeps your skin optimally hydrated.
- pH: Your skin's pH shows how effective your skin barrier is, i.e. how susceptible it is to bacteria, allergens, and pollution. pH can also be indicative of different skin conditions like irritation or breakouts. By tracking your skin's pH, we make sure your skincare routine helps you stay in the optimal range of 4.5 - 6.0.
After using the Skin Test, you'll receive your full Skin Sequence. An example of what a Skin Sequence might look like is: B-2463.
- B — Your top skin concern: Breakouts.
- 2 — Your oil score, normalized (1 - 9): 2 means low oil levels compared to everyone else in our database.
- 4 — Your moisture score, normalized (1 - 9): 5 means average moisture levels compared to everyone else in our database.
- 6 — Your pH level (4 - 7): 6 is healthy.
- 3 — Your sun sensitivity, according to the Fitzpatrick index (1 - 6): 3 means you burn and then tan.
Skin changes, so your Skin Sequence may change over time too! Your personalized Skin Profile will help you keep track of how and why these key skin measurements are shifting.